[Tails-dev] [Announcement] Test suite on Stretch|Buster: ple…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] [Announcement] Test suite on Stretch|Buster: please update your setup
Hi,

2 things:

- Running Buster? Please update your APT configuration

- Running Stretch? Please upgrade to Buster or tell me how long you need

Running Buster? Please update your APT configuration

So far, in order to run our test suite on Buster, we've required using
a custom backport of QEMU. Good news is that there's now an official
backport in Debian, so please switch to it:

1. ensure you have buster-backports APT sources enabled
2. delete /etc/apt/sources.list.d/isotester-buster.list
3. update /etc/apt/preferences.d/qemu so it has this contents:

Package: qemu*
Pin: release n=buster-backports, o=Debian Backports

4. apt update
5. apt full-upgrade

→ You should have qemu-system-x86 1:5.0-14~bpo10+1 installed.

Running Stretch? Please upgrade to Buster

We've now supported running our test suite on Buster since almost
5 months. Now that Stretch is EOL, I would like to stop supporting it,
i.e. start requiring Buster or newer to run our test suite: supporting
Stretch to run our test suite blocks a number of improvements (#17842).

So, if you're still running our test suite on Stretch systems:

- Please consider upgrading to Buster.

If there's anything blocking you, besides available time,
please let me know.

- Does a 3 months delay to upgrade, starting today, sound reasonable
to you? If not, how much more time do you need?

I'll coordinate this upgrade with sysadmins on tails/sysadmin#17731,
since our Jenkins isotesters still run Stretch :)

Cheers!