[Tails-project] back-and-forth amendments on a single issue …

Author: sajolida
Subject: [Tails-project] back-and-forth amendments on a single issue [was: GitLab is now in production]
intrigeri:
>  - If you have questions or trouble with the new *workflow*, please
>    either email <tails-dev@???> or attend one of the two "Ask Me
>    Anything" sessions I'll host on the tails-dev XMPP chatroom:

>     - Wednesday, June 3, 11:00-12:00 CEST
>     - Thursday, June 4, 16:00-17:00 CEST

I can't attend any of these, so here is workflow question.

I'm putting Cody in explicit copy because he's mentioned here.

1. syster created a MR for #17227 on:

https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/merge_requests/8

2. Cody amended their MR by creating a MR against syster's repo:

https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/syster/tails/-/merge_requests/1

That sounds pretty convoluted to me already. Is this the proper way?

3. Cody then opened another MR with the work of both:

https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/merge_requests/32

4. When reviewing Cody's MR I added some commits to the branch:
3d8f1a284f..f8a5cd8289.

I pushed these to doc/17227-letterboxing-tor-browser. They get
automatically referenced on #17227 because I mention the issue in the
commit message but they are not referenced on !32.

My intention was to amend Cody's MR !32 with my commits and reassign to
him for review but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Cody's MR !32 is against master so I'm afraid of clicking "Close merge
request" until we are both ok with the whole branch.

I've already caused a bunch of irreversible changes by being a bit too
confident while clicking around GitLab :)

What am I supposed to do now? Shall I Close Cody's MR !32 anyway, hoping
that it won't get merged by magic and open a 4th MR for a single issue?

Does this mean that when going back and forth with reviews and
amendments we have to create a new MR every time? Probably loosing
comments and context each time? Shall we instead comment on the ticket
not to loose information in-between these multiple MR?

All this looks very convoluted to me but I guess that I'm missing something.

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/