Re: [Tails-ux] #16990: Update our list of "Favorites" applic…

Author: Teqleez Motley
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] #16990: Update our list of "Favorites" applications
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, at 9:17 PM, sajolida wrote:
> Teqleez Motley:
> > If no customization is possible, IMO this menu should be renamed to "featured" or the like.
>
> Why not.

I think it might affect this discussion a bit once it is clear what we might change the "Favourites" menu term/name into.

Is "Featured applications" a good option? Is such a change easy enough for a "quick fix"?

> > For example, the "KeepassXC" could be named "KeepassXC password manager", both to make it more obvious for newcomers, but also to make a filter on "password" find it. Likewise, "Thunderbird" could be renamed to "Thunderbird email client", and GtkHash to "GtkHash checksum tool"
>
> I like this idea. Some apps already do so "Pidgin Internet Messenger"
> but not all of them. I wonder whether it's worth reporting bugs upstream
> about this or whether diverging from the Debian package would be costly
> in terms of maintenance.
>
> @segfault: Any clue on this?

How about checking a couple of the candidates upstream to see if there is less "resistence" than expected to such descriptive name changes? We might get surprised.

--
Regards,
Teqleez