Re: [Tails-dev] Mumble and Tails in Scripts

Author: sajolida
To: Rafael Bonifaz, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Mumble and Tails in Scripts
Rafael Bonifaz:
> El 31/10/19 a las 15:34, sajolida escribió:
>> If you are interested in improving and maintaining your scripts, it
>> might be possible for us to replicate your instructions in the "Advanced
>> topics" section of our doc, making them a bit more official, and have
>> interested people download the scripts from there. It might give us a
>> bit more information about how popular such a solution would be.
>
> It would be very nice if you include this in the "Advanced topics" section.

Ok. As it would be the first time that we're doing something like this,
I'd like to have the opinion of more people on that.

The proposal is to create a page about Mumble from Tails in the
"Advanced topics" section, including a copy of the scripts. I would do
some minimal reformatting on the original blog posts.

Having this on the website only is less work (and commitment) than
adding the scripts to Tails itself and could serve as a way of knowing
how popular such a solution would be.

Regarding maintenance, I would leave it to Rafael and CAD. If the
scripts ever happen to be badly broken and unmaintained, by then we'll
have a better idea of how popular they are so we can evaluate the
cost/benefit of fixing them and possibly drop them.

We should also have someone from Tails review the code of the scripts
for security (and maybe nothing else for now).

Given that VoIP on Tails is something that we've been interested in
having for years, such a smallish operation could be an interesting step
in the right direction.

> In regards to maintaining the scripts, we actually plan to make a multi
> OS bundle of Murmur + Mumble and Tor (I guess for Tails, Tor is not
> needed). The idea is to have something similar to  Onionshare, but for
> VoIP. So you could install this bundle in Windows, Linux or Mac. You can
> even access a conference from an Android phone with Orbot + Plumble.  It
> should be as easy as generating the Onion Address for the conference
> where the others can connect.

Nice :)

>> Also, would you be interested if we mentioned your instructions in our
>> monthly community report for October?
>>
>> See for example: https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2019_09/
>
> Please do so, that would be an honor for us :)

I added it to the draft. It'll be published around next week:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/monthly_report/report_2019_10/

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/