Re: [Tails-dev] [tor-project] Mumble and Tails in Scripts

Author: Rafael Bonifaz
To: sajolida, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [tor-project] Mumble and Tails in Scripts
Hello,

El 31/10/19 a las 15:34, sajolida escribió:

> Hi Rafael,

> development. I put tor-project@??? in copy once, for
> the others to know that the discussion moved to tails-dev@??? :)

Thanks a lot for this email

>> In CAD, the organization I work for, we created some simple scripts to
>> setup a Mumble server in Tails and published it as Onion Service. We
>> wrote a blog post about it and we would be very happy if you have the
>> time to read, tested and give some feedback.
>>
>> English version:
>>
>> https://autonomia.digital/tails/mumble/anonymity/2019/10/09/tails-mumble.html
>>
>> Spanish version:
>>
>> https://autonomia.digital/es/tails/mumble/anonymity/2019/10/09/tails-mumble.html
>>
>> Remember it is just a proof of concept.
> Thanks for developing new ways of using Tails :)
>
> We've been looking into adding VoIP support to Tails for years but we
> don't have a proper solution yet, so experiments are always interesting!
>
> Funnily, we experimented a bit with Mumble as well ourselves. At some
> point, we even had internal Tails meetings over Mumble running from
> Tails. Since then we moved to non-Torified VoIP solutions because of the
> bad UX of Mumble (poor sound quality and complex + fragile audio setup).

I had meetings with torify Mumble and I think is not perfect, but it is
useful.  For me the audio quality is ok, however the delay of messages
and the echo could be a problem. If you think this more of Walkie-talkie
user experience than a phone conference, then it is a pretty interesting
solution.

> In 2016, we also had a GSoC project on something we called "Tails
> Server" and that included being able to run a Mumble server from Tails:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/tails_server/
>
> The future of Tails Server is now uncertain.
>
> We might resume the work on Mumble from Tails if we had good clues that
> it would be an important solution for many people. From our short
> experience internally, we have serious doubts that it would.
>
> But maybe your experience could help us in this regard. How was your
> solution received in Ecuador? Do you have any success stories of less
> tech-savvy people using it successfully? (I'm guessing that the timing
> of your email has to do with the recent political events in Ecuador.)

The timing was pure coincidence. Those scripts are still an experiment,
and have not been widely shared, besides that blog post.

> If you are interested in improving and maintaining your scripts, it
> might be possible for us to replicate your instructions in the "Advanced
> topics" section of our doc, making them a bit more official, and have
> interested people download the scripts from there. It might give us a
> bit more information about how popular such a solution would be.

It would be very nice if you include this in the "Advanced topics" section.

In regards to maintaining the scripts, we actually plan to make a multi
OS bundle of Murmur + Mumble and Tor (I guess for Tails, Tor is not
needed). The idea is to have something similar to  Onionshare, but for
VoIP. So you could install this bundle in Windows, Linux or Mac. You can
even access a conference from an Android phone with Orbot + Plumble.  It
should be as easy as generating the Onion Address for the conference
where the others can connect.

> Also, would you be interested if we mentioned your instructions in our
> monthly community report for October?
>
> See for example: https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2019_09/

Please do so, that would be an honor for us :)

Best,

Rafael