[Tails-dev] Advice on jumping in as a newcomer

Author: mycobee
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Advice on jumping in as a newcomer
Hi all,

I am a practiced backend web developer with experience with Ruby on Rails, Automated Testing (cypress, jest, rspec, minitest), JavaScript(jQuery, fetch, react, Node.js), SQL and ORMs, some Python, some CI/CD, some security, and some front end.

I'm not sure how directly transferable my skillsets are to the Tails project, but I'd love to help where I can.  I've been a user and supporter of Tails for about half a decade, and I'd love to finally give some of my programming skills back.

I've looked at some of the "starter tickets", but it can be hard to get a gauge of what all is happening with the code base.  Also many times when I go to a file in a repo I get a forbidden error to see the code.

Apologies if this comes off as a bit noob-y, but this is  a different world than the web apps I am familiar with.

TL;DR - Want to help, have some good OOP skills but in higher level languages, am eager to learn and contribute where/if I am needed.

-Rob
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Get your own encrypted, ad-free mailbox:
https://tutanota.com