Re: [Tails-testers] Tails4_rc1 main drive showing

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-testers, i4ixax+9e92iigd12i4w
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails4_rc1 main drive showing
Hi,

i4ixax+9e92iigd12i4w--- via Tails-testers:
> the drive wasn't mounted automatically, but in can be mounted from within tails (root)

OK, good.

> i thought detection of main system drives was disabled in tails as
> security measure way back, (maybe 3.5 - 3.9?), so if tails was
> compromized, it was not possible to mount and access main drives
> data, or plant something on it.

I could not find any trace of this in our changelog.

As far as I can tell, users who choose to set an administration
password are free to do anything they want as root. I seem to remember
that many years ago, we had vague plans to more fully block access to
internal drives but I don't think this went anywhere, and I don't know
what would be the state of our thinking on this front nowadays
regarding whether the security benefits are worth breaking some
plausibly-valid use cases.

> // unless, Tails4.0 added detection for new format types and thats the reason the drive was not showing in the 3.**

That's possible indeed.

> this the drive didnt show in 3.16, and the actual partition is not
> even moutable in 3.16(i just checked, it just detects the space
> correctly, but cant mount it)

Even with an administration password?
What kind of partition and filesystem is that?