[Tails-dev] Git branches

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Git branches
Hi,

since our code base was frozen for 4.0 last week, I noticed some
recurring confusion wrt. which branches are used for what; so here's
a reminder on this topic.

Once 4.0 is out:

- stable is for stuff we want to see in the next 4.x release,
regardless of it's a bugfix, emergency, or major one

- devel is for stuff that's unsuitable for a bugfix release, and
that should go in the next *major* 4.x release, i.e. probably in
April 2020

- testing won't be used anymore until we need to freeze our code base
to prepare a major release, which likely won't happen before
March 2020

So in the vast majority of cases, starting next Wednesday, you'll want
to fork your topic branch off the stable branch.

Until then, fork the testing branch instead.