Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0 Beta 1

Author: intrigeri
To: Tom Watson, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0 Beta 1
Hi,

(fully quoting with Tom's permission.)

Tom Watson:
> Tried Beta2 on two USB sticks with no luck. Did the same thing on both:

> Showed the initial screen where you can choose between Tails and Tails
> (Safe Mode).

> If Tails is chosen, screen goes black and awhile later three pixelated
> horizontal lines appear in the upper third of the screen and nothing else
> happens.

OK. What if you edit the boot options for the "Tails" entry (by
pressing TAB) and add "nosplash" (without the quotes) at the end?

> If Safe Mode is chosen, some operating text scrolls by, the screen goes
> black, then this message is displayed:

> (inittramfs) Unable to fina d medium containing a live file system

> And that's it.

How exactly did you install Tails on this USB stick?

I advice you use the USB image (.img) and Etcher (on Windows or macOS)
or GNOME Disks (on Linux).

It could also be interesting to retry with a USB 2.0 (as opposed to
USB 3.0) stick, or any USB stick plugged into a USB 2.0 port: the
error above could be caused by USB 3 being badly supported.

On top of that, it would be awesome if you could try a nightly build
of our "devel" branch, that has an updated Linux kernel which might
help:

https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_devel/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/

Here as well, pick the USB image (.img).

Thanks in advance!