[Hackmeeting] Fwd: [hackademia] Readings on hacking & learni…

Author: isi
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] Fwd: [hackademia] Readings on hacking & learning

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [hackademia] Readings on hacking & learning
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:52:35 -0400
From: biella <biella@???>
To: hackademia@???

Hi Annika,

Sounds like an interesting project:

For hackerspaces, I would be on the look out for maxigas's great work on
the topic. I believe he is publishing a number of pieces from his
dissertation on the topic and here is one of his earlier pieces on the
hacker lab vs hacker space

http://peerproduction.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/maxigas-geneology_of_hacklabs_and_hackerspaces_draft.pdf

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sociology/people/peter-dunajcsik

Luis Felipe Murillo has a piece on hacker spaces in San Francisco and
China coming out in American Anthropologist sometime soon. Hector
Beltran who has worked on hacker spaces in Mexico and the US has a
forthcoming piece as well: http://www.hectorbeltran.org/publications.html

Also relevant is Lily Irani's illuminating book on the making of
entrepreneurial selves and civic hacking in India
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/13362.html

For feminist hacking do not miss Sophie Toupin's publication of which
they are many.  https://mcgill.academia.edu/SophieToupin

Christina Dunbar Hester is publishing an excellent, in depth account of
diversity initiatives in open content, maker, and hacker communities out
with Princeton in December.

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/14235.html

Stefania Milan also has great work in this area from civic to data
activism and hacktivism.

For a bunch of citations on hackers related to your interests, you can
find some here, which also covers the question of spaces of hacking from
the vantage of the sociology literature on free spaces:
http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/uprising1313/files/2018/03/Gabriella-Coleman-article-.pdf

and here
http://culturedigitally.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Coleman-2016-Hacker-Digital-Keywords-Peters-ed.pdf

There is more but I thought I would highlight these as a starting point.

All best,

Gabriella

other sources
(https://etherpad.net/p/Hackademia__hackerspaces_and_learning).

* Keller L.S., 1991. Machismo and the Hacker Mentality. In:
Lovegrove G., Segal B. (eds) Women into Computing. Workshops in
Computing. Springer
* Taylor, P.A., 2012. Maestros or misogynists? Gender and the social
construction of hacking. In Dot.cons (pp. 134-154). Willan
* Wajcman, J., 1991. Feminism confronts technology. Penn State Press
* Wajcman, J., 2004. Technofeminism. Cambridge: Polity
* Wark, M., 2004. A Hacker Manifesto. Harvard University Press

Best,
Yanna
---
To unsubscribe: <mailto:hackademia-unsubscribe@lists.riseup.net>