Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0beta2

Author: intrigeri
To: Michael Gerstacker, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0beta2
Hi Michael!

Michael Gerstacker:
> i tested 4.0beta2 again on my Dell Inspiron 5559.

Thanks!

> The time between Greeter and Desktop was only 14 seconds so i think thats
> much better again.

Thanks for confirming. This matches what I measured when I developed
the fix for this bug: both "boot loader → Greeter" and "Greeter →
Desktop" are faster on 4.0~beta2 than on Tails 3.x.

> The behavior that the first shutdown after the incremental upgrade takes
> much longer was there again.
> I pressed Esc and its one line which is constantly changing between:

> (1 of 2) A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 112 ( x / 2 min)
> and
> (2 of 2) A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000 ( x / 2 min)

> The x is counting up till 1 min 30 s then:
> [ok] Stopped User Manager for UID 112.

> and the shutdown process is going on.

Ouch, that sounds bad. I've filed this as #17026.

> I did a video like intrigeri asked me for which i can upload if its
> necessary. But i think that step should be reproduceable.

Please keep the video around and we'll ask you if we need it :)

> It seems a link in the email "[Tails-news] Call for testing: 4.0beta2" is
> broken.
> I see:
> Technical details of all changes are listed in the [Changelog](https://git-
> tails.immerda.ch/tails/ ...).

Indeed, the email I've received reads:

Technical details of all the changes are listed in the
[Changelog](https://git-
tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog?h=devel).

Same problem here:

Please, report any new problem to [tails-testers@???](mailto:tails-

The corresponding Markdown source reads:

Technical details of all the changes are listed in the
[Changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog?h=devel).

I've verified that the RSS feed generated by ikiwiki is correct (no
line breaks there).

So I think rss2email is trying to do clever line-wrapping and
mistakenly decides that a hyphen is a sweet place to insert a line
break. I've checked our rss2email config and we're already disabling
line wrapping (body-width: 0) so I'm afraid there's not much we can
do here.

I've replaced the link to the changelog with one that uses Salsa,
which has no hyphen so this should fix the changelog link problem.
And it makes things consistent with our stable release notes :)

I don't know how to fix the problem for mailto:tails-testers@boum.org
so I think this should be addressed by the more general work that's
planned on these announcement messages.

> Maybe its imagination but 4.0beta2 feels even faster than 4.0beta1.
> Especially during 3.x you sometimes felt how the system is doing step after
> step and you were afraid to move the cursor because you didnt knew if you
> maybe interrupt it with that.
> Now it feels more windows-like and you can mess around without the need to
> be afraid that you might break something.
> Thats good.

Great news :)

The only explanation I can think of is that the updated graphics
drivers in 4.0~beta2 support your hardware better.