Re: [Tails-l10n] Call for translations: 4.0 doc update

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion, Sandro Knauß
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Call for translations: 4.0 doc update
Hi!

u:
> On 29.08.19 19:42, intrigeri wrote:
>> sajolida:
>>> The rest is in the 'devel' branch and the work can only be done in Git,
>>> if I understood correctly.
>>
>> Hmmm, actually, I don't know if this is feasible at all.
>>
>> hefee, do we import translations from Git into Weblate?
>>
>> In other words, if folks translate Buster stuff on the devel Git
>> branch now,
>> when we'll merge that branch into master while releasing 4.0,
>> and we'll push the resulting master branch to Weblate,
>> I know that Weblate will learn about the updated strings,
>> will it learn about the new/updated translations?

> As the updated translations will have been committed to PO files,
> logically, they should be available to Weblate when the merge to master
> is done and if the PO files are merged correctly from devel to master.
> At least this is my understanding of the situation.

I've tested this and I'm happy to confirm this is correct.

This is very good news! It means for example:

- Translation teams who are at ease with Git can indeed translate
Buster doc updates on the devel branch.

- We should be able to go through the dreaded po4a upgrade
(#17005) without making tons of strings fuzzy.

Here's what I did:

1. Translate some strings in Git that were fully non-translated in Weblate
2. Push
3. Wait for the cronjob to run on our translations server
4. Check Weblate again: the new translations appeared :)