Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum

Author: s7r
To: intrigeri, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum
intrigeri wrote:
> Hi s7r,

Hello,

[SNIP]

> Any news?
> What kind of timeline do you have in mind for the next steps?

Unfortunately news are slow to come for this.

The phishing vulnerability is fixed, servers have all implemented DoS
protection to survive the DoS attacks, custom arbitrary messages sent by
the servers were permanently disabled, etc. So things are as much as
possible back to normal in the latest client release.

Unfortunately, that is 3.3.8 which is still not in Debian. The current
maintainer has been great so far, but as I sad in previous emails to
this thread had/has some personal circumstances that prevent him from
working on Debian as much as he'd like. I unsuccessfully tried to reach
by email.

> If it's not realistic that you find time for this soon,
> maybe the Tails Foundations Team could take over this communication.

It would be neat to get some help - I have tried unsuccessfully reaching
to the debian cryptocoin team as well as some package maintainers that I
saw maintain packages related to this area, but nothing. I am still
expecting an answer from two more people, hope to get them in the next days.

But if not,
If there is someone in the Tails Foundation Team that can help with
Debian packaging, just point him in my direction and we can sponsor
this. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle, except:

- Electrum 3.3.8 introduces some new dependencies that have to pass
through NEW;
- Optional: if we want to consider the `suggests` packages for hardware
wallets, some of them need update - then we could close all Electrum
related tickets in our Tails redmine bug tracker;

(I just saw now that we have python3-zbar since very recently - for QR
code scanning, one less ticket for us, whev).

> Meanwhile, I see no recent activity in the packaging repo¹; and the
> current maintainer seems to be still MIA².

yes, unfortunately.