[Tails-testers] Opinion about Tails 4.0beta1

Author: Michael Gerstacker
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Opinion about Tails 4.0beta1
Hi,

i tried Tails 4.0beta1 on my Dell Inspiron 5559 and i noticed some things.

After the Tails Greeter it takes about 25 seconds to show the desktop. With
3.15 it was only about 10 seconds.

The drop-down menu with the applications seems smaller but more full. For
example i need to scroll down to see everything listed under
"Hilfsprogramme".
And some applications are there more than once. For example "Terminal".
Maybe consider to remove the "Favorites" section because the user can not
configure that section by himself and it makes the whole drop-down menu
even more full.

I normally am a Windows user so i was pretty confused after realizing that
the right-click isnt working anymore. I like the new way to do a right
click but i think you should point that out in your release notes or
somewhere else because i needed to google it. I think there are more users
like me who normally use Windows and maybe feel helpless then.

When i choose "Configure persistent volume", then select "Additional
software", then click on the gearwheel to open the window to configure my
additional software and in the provided window then click on the blue
"Synaptic Package Manager" then nothing happens. The link to "APT on the
command line" is not working too.

Some of the settings in Onionshare are not working but i can see that there
are anyway a few tickets open about Onionshare.

The bug with the Onion circuits not shown in Tor Browser anymore on new
websites after Standby when Tor Browser was open during the Standby which i
reported a few months ago is still there too. I was told that you can not
reproduce it so i sent an explanation how to reproduce it but didnt got an
answer.

This is not really about Tails Buster but i noticed it earlier.
Maybe you should consider to always show the whole shutdown process. If you
shutdown normally then the process is done after about 10 seconds. But if i
remember it right then the first shutdown after an automatic upgrade the
shutdown process takes much longer. When i press F12 then i can see the
shutdown process and it can take up to two minutes.
I know a few people who switch off the power of her computer after they
pressed shutdown. If they now only see a black screen for two minutes they
maybe think the computer is already switched off and switch off the power
too early. Maybe its even related to your ticket #14754 about "partially
applied incremental upgrades cause all kinds of trouble". And i cant see
any downsides to always show the whole shutdown process.
The upgrade process anyway should be more fool-proof but there are tickets
for it already.

Apart of that i think i like Tails Buster because it feels and looks a
little bit more smoother.

Good work:)