Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: experimental Tails b…

Author: alienpup
To: intrigeri, Tails list for early testers, segfault
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: experimental Tails based on Buster, take 2
intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> alienpup:
> > No joy with Buster pre-beta 0620T1455Z on my Lenovo and HP laptops.
> > As the attached screen shot shows, the boot process dies early -
> > identically on both systems.
>
> I see two issues here:
>
> 1. "dmidecode: not found" in the partitioning script
>
>    Looks like partprobe needs dmidecode. I did not investigate to
>    check whether that's a regression brought by
>    5dfc662404ae28e70998a2aef999f34e4b5789ac nor what are the
>    consequences of a missing dmidecode. It might be cheaper to simply
>    include dmidecode in the initramfs and be done with it, so we don't
>    ask ourselves this question again in the future. segfault, can you
>    please take a look?

> 2. "(initramfs) aufs not available" in a busybox shell
>
>    This is seriously weird. Our automated test suite results show that
>    aufs _is_ available in the initramfs. It also exercises the
>    partitioning steps so we know they're not supposed to break
>    the boot.

> > I was careful to verify the image after download and after xfer to
> > the "transport" (I avoid downloading 1GB images over tor network:)
> > flash drive.
>
> I'll try to reproduce on bare metal with a fresh Buster image.
>
> Meanwhile, please do the same and answer these questions:
>
> - You've used the USB image, not the ISO, right?
>
> - How did you install the image onto a USB stick?
>
> Cheers,

intrigeri,

I tested the 0705T1551Z release on both laptops and my Mintbox Mini.

Image file verified so:

$ cat tails-build-artifacts.shasum | grep .img | shasum -c -
tails-amd64-feature_buster-3.17-20190705T1551Z-20a18502e8+devel@???: OK

Image file written using Gnome Disks (see attached).

0705T1551Z expanded and booted without fault on each of the three platforms. No hint of the previously noted issues. Brief testing suggested a healthy TailsOS in each case.

regards,
alienpup