Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: experimental Tails bas…

Author: intrigeri
To: alienpup, Tails list for early testers, segfault
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: experimental Tails based on Buster, take 2
Hi,

alienpup:
> No joy with Buster pre-beta 0620T1455Z on my Lenovo and HP laptops.
> As the attached screen shot shows, the boot process dies early -
> identically on both systems.

I see two issues here:

1. "dmidecode: not found" in the partitioning script

Looks like partprobe needs dmidecode. I did not investigate to
check whether that's a regression brought by
5dfc662404ae28e70998a2aef999f34e4b5789ac nor what are the
consequences of a missing dmidecode. It might be cheaper to simply
include dmidecode in the initramfs and be done with it, so we don't
ask ourselves this question again in the future. segfault, can you
please take a look?

2. "(initramfs) aufs not available" in a busybox shell

This is seriously weird. Our automated test suite results show that
aufs _is_ available in the initramfs. It also exercises the
partitioning steps so we know they're not supposed to break
the boot.

> I was careful to verify the image after download and after xfer to
> the "transport" (I avoid downloading 1GB images over tor network:)
> flash drive.

I'll try to reproduce on bare metal with a fresh Buster image.

Meanwhile, please do the same and answer these questions:

- You've used the USB image, not the ISO, right?

- How did you install the image onto a USB stick?