Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion: Allow persistence on alternate d…

Author: sajolida
To: Syntholysis, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Suggestion: Allow persistence on alternate drive?
Syntholysis via Tails-dev:
> First of all, I love Tails. Thank you for developing this operating
> system, and I want to contribute when I'm in a situation in which I can.

Thanks for the nice words :)

> I have a question/suggestion regarding persistence. My ideal setup is to
> have a flashdrive with Tails on it, with Tails unaware of its
> persistence files, since all of its persistence files are stored on
> another flashdrive, with the same being the case for my other operating
> systems, that they each have their own little customizations.
> Essentially, on the boot screen, there'd be an option to boot with
> persistence, and it's up to the user to know that the files are on
> another piece of hardware, as sort of a variation of two-step
> authentication.

Before giving you an answer I'd like to understand better what you would
gain from such a feature? Why would you prefer Tails to behave like
this? I'm trying to guess right now and I might guess wrong, so I'd
rather have you elaborate a bit first :)

> but could there perhaps a fork that does what I want, or am I missing a
> reason this wouldn't work out well?

We don't want to maintain several flavors of Tails as it would be a lot
of more work.

> Again, this is a great operating system, and I love it as is. But I
> wanted to get into the mindset of why it works as it does.

> And it would
> be cool to be able to use the Bitcoin wallet with the extra layer of
> protection over it, or to have different persistence volumes-- for
> example, to have an alternate persistence volume for when I'm going out
> in public. This also seems to solve the problem of having an anonymous
> persistence volume-- that you need to have both flashdrives to know
> about the data that's being stored.

For example, if people want different persistent volumes for different
thing (1 for Bitcoin, 1 for a specific writing project), we think that
USB sticks are cheap enough and small enough these days for them to have
2 different USB sticks. Since they can be physically different objects,
it might also make it easier for them to be clear which one they are
taking along in a trip.

--
sajolida