[Tails-dev] Suggestion: Allow persistence on alternate drive…

Author: Syntholysis
To: tails-dev@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-dev] Suggestion: Allow persistence on alternate drive?
First of all, I love Tails. Thank you for developing this operating system, and I want to contribute when I'm in a situation in which I can.

I have a question/suggestion regarding persistence. My ideal setup is to have a flashdrive with Tails on it, with Tails unaware of its persistence files, since all of its persistence files are stored on another flashdrive, with the same being the case for my other operating systems, that they each have their own little customizations. Essentially, on the boot screen, there'd be an option to boot with persistence, and it's up to the user to know that the files are on another piece of hardware, as sort of a variation of two-step authentication. I've set this up on Parrot OS and Kali Linux, that my secondary flash drive holds what I need, as I have specific uses for each. I understand that Tails has a wider audience and needs to be relatively accessible without an understanding of hard drive partitions, but could there perhaps a fork that does what I want, or am I missing a reason this wouldn't work out well?

Again, this is a great operating system, and I love it as is. But I wanted to get into the mindset of why it works as it does. And it would be cool to be able to use the Bitcoin wallet with the extra layer of protection over it, or to have different persistence volumes-- for example, to have an alternate persistence volume for when I'm going out in public. This also seems to solve the problem of having an anonymous persistence volume-- that you need to have both flashdrives to know about the data that's being stored.