[Tails-ux] Onionshare button in Nautilus is problematic

Author: dolphins0000
To: tails-ux@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-ux] Onionshare button in Nautilus is problematic
Hello I contacted the devs with an issue and I was sent to contact you with it.

I think there is a problem how the Onionshare is implemented in Nautilus, ( /usr/share/nautilus-python/extensions/onionshare-nautilus.py ). You know when you right click on a file and there is a button to Share via Onionshare above Properties. I think it is problematic.

For example if somebody has sensitive files on his computer, it would become trivial especially for newbies to accidentally click on it, and broadcast their files over the internet. I think this is poor design, to have your files just 1 click away from the internet, with not prompt or anything just accidentally misclick on it. In fact I have often clicked on that button accidentally when I wanted to click on Properties, so the probability of user error is very high here, especially for newbies who don't know what it is, and they could accidentally send their files away this way.

I would request that this should be made more foolproof for newbies. I propose some kind of option to remove that button from Nautilus at boot, perferably without having to give root access to it. Some kind of command to toggle that button on and off to be not visible there would be good, or maybe even remove it entirely. Any experienced person who needs Onionshare will just access it from the Applications menu, and any person who doesn't need it, it just stands in the way, and it can create many unintended consequences.

For an OS as secure as Tails, the files and data should be compartimentalized, not just by software, but also by making stupid user mistakes less probable so that people don't have to worry about misclicking and that sort of things.

Thanks.