Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Call for testing: USB image …

Author: alienpup
To: u
CC: The Tails public development discussion list, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Call for testing: USB image second boot failure
u wrote:
> Hi!
>
> some time ago, we started distributing USB images alongside our ISO
> images, so that the installation process would get easier (especially
> for Windows and macOS users) and faster (by getting rid of the need to
> install an intermediary Tails device).
>
> Using the USB image, on first boot the system partition is resized
> automatically. This seems to fail on some computers, but we have very
> little data about the usefulness of a proposed fix.
>
> You can help
> ============
>
> This is why we ask you today to help us test a fix, even and
> _especially_ if you did _not_ encounter this bug of a Tails device not
> booting a second time. The idea is that we want to see if our fix
> results in regressions for users for whom it initially worked. [1]
>
> Interested?
> ===========
>
> - Please download the .img file from
> https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_bugfix-16389-recompute-chs/builds/lastSuccessfulBuild/archive/build-artifacts/
>
> - Install the image to a USB key, following the procedure indicated
> here:
>
> - from Windows https://tails.boum.org/install/win/usb/
> - from macOS https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/usb/
> - from Linux https://tails.boum.org/install/linux/usb/
>
> - Boot your computer with this Tails device once. Shut down.
> - Boot your computer with this Tails devide again.
>
> - Please report back in reply to this email (public mailing list):
>
> - Brand and model of the USB stick and the computer used for testing
> - Did the device boot a second time?
> - If not: did you see an error message on boot? What did it say?
>
> Thank you for your help!
> u.
>
> [1] If you're interested in the details:
>     https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16389

u.

tails-amd64-bugfix_16389-recompute-chs-3.14-20190516T1708Z-a620eccd12+stable@??? successfully installed to a 16GB Kingston Data Traveler flash drive using dd under Arch Linux, booted and re-booted on all three of the systems available to me. None of these systems previously experienced the second boot failure:

HP Pavillion dm4 laptop
Lenovo Thinkpad T410 laptop
Mintbox Mini AMD APC desktop L
The output of lspci -nn executed on each system is attached.

regards,
alienpup