Re: [Tails-ux] Animation to explain how to use the boot menu…

Author: u
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Animation to explain how to use the boot menu key (#10649)
Hi!

>>> https://un.poivron.org/~sajolida/boot_menu_key.mp4

>> There are however some little details that I would like to comment on:
>>
>> - Is it on purpose that the laptop looks like an Apple computer but
>> behaves like a Windows computer (switching it off in the left bottom
>> corner)? I find this confusing for users of Apple Computers. How will
>> they understand this animation? Are they also targeted by it?
>> It could be changed by simply making the edges of the computer much
>> less rounded, and by considering to change the animation once the
>> power off button was pressed (this animation is very Windowsy).
>
> The animation will only appear on installation scenarios for PC.
> The boot procedure for Apple computers is completely different and, I
> think, don't require an animation that much:

Ok! I think that solves my concerns.

> https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/usb/#start-tails
>
> I also wondered why the laptop looks like an Apple computer but couldn't
> really find out why. You said the animation is very Windowsy so I think
> we're good here but I'm not sure to understand your proposal regarding
> the corners: square corners would look more like a PC, right?

Correct.

>> - I think that many Windows computers do not switch themselves off but
>> instead go into some sort of hibernation. So they actually do not
>> reboot but just wake up from hibernation. Then, one cannot use the
>> boot menu key. How do you address this issue? → I guess it could be
>> addressed in the written documentation.
>
> Yeah, that's a pain. I guess the only way would be to document this
> better in the written documentation that goes with the animation.

Ok.

>> - The part with the smartphone is unfortunately not clear.
>>
>>   - It's unclear what the person is looking up (I guess doing a search
>>     for their computer model + boot menu key) → maybe you can add a
>>     search sequence before the lookup sequence (that the video contains
>>     now) that will make this process a bit more clear.

> The animation will go together with the table in attachment so people
> will have more context. I don't understand what you mean by "search
> sequence" in addition to the "lookup sequence". Can you elaborate?

In the current version, the smartphone shows a table, and a hand is
searching within this table for the red key. I called this "lookup"
sequence.

And my proposal was to add a "search" sequence before, so that it would
be clearer what the lookup is about or how one gets there.

But I see that there is a correspondence in the documentation - which is
nice. And I also like your drawing proposal.

> See also the alternative drawing I propose to the designer, in attachment.
>
>>   - The moment in second 18 when the red key suddenly is transformed
>>     into the "power on" key was confusing at first. It could be clearer
>>     if there was actually a movement within the looking glass bubble to
>>     the right, then back to the left. So that it becomes clear that the
>>     red key is not equivalent with the power on key.

> Yes. I also felt that and I'm very happy that you are reporting it as
> well. I like your proposal and I already meant to suggest that each
> magnifying bubble should be better linked to they element that is being
> magnified. For example, I found the shutdown magnifier from the
> beginning to be too far from the pointer on the screen.

I like your idea better than mine :)

>> - The shadow of the background could maybe start a bit more at the
>> vertical center of the screen, so that it looks less like the computer
>> is flying.
>
> I don't understand what you are referring to. The shadow background of
> what? the computer? the magnifying bubble?

The blue overall background.

>> - At the beginning we see the Tails website / installation assistant on
>> the computer screen with a white underline. I would delete this white
>> line. It does not really make sense.
>
> Ack.

Cheers!
u.