Re: [Tails-ux] Animation to explain how to use the boot menu…

Author: u
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Animation to explain how to use the boot menu key (#10649)
Hi!

On 10.05.19 13:10, sajolida wrote:
> From our usability tests back in 2015, learning how to use the boot menu
> key was a major pain point for new users.
>
> In the last months, I worked with a design studio to create an animation
> to explain the process.

Yeah!

> Here is the first complete version of it:
>
> https://un.poivron.org/~sajolida/boot_menu_key.mp4
>
> It's lagging quite a lot in my Tor Browser, so you'd better download
> before viewing it.
>
> Please comment :)

I like it! I like that we do not need language or words to explain such
a complex thing, well done!

There are however some little details that I would like to comment on:

- Is it on purpose that the laptop looks like an Apple computer but
behaves like a Windows computer (switching it off in the left bottom
corner)? I find this confusing for users of Apple Computers. How will
they understand this animation? Are they also targeted by it?
It could be changed by simply making the edges of the computer much
less rounded, and by considering to change the animation once the
power off button was pressed (this animation is very Windowsy).

- I think that many Windows computers do not switch themselves off but
instead go into some sort of hibernation. So they actually do not
reboot but just wake up from hibernation. Then, one cannot use the
boot menu key. How do you address this issue? → I guess it could be
addressed in the written documentation.

- The part with the smartphone is unfortunately not clear.

  - It's unclear what the person is looking up (I guess doing a search
    for their computer model + boot menu key) → maybe you can add a
    search sequence before the lookup sequence (that the video contains
    now) that will make this process a bit more clear.

  - The moment in second 18 when the red key suddenly is transformed
    into the "power on" key was confusing at first. It could be clearer
    if there was actually a movement within the looking glass bubble to
    the right, then back to the left. So that it becomes clear that the
    red key is not equivalent with the power on key.

- The shadow of the background could maybe start a bit more at the
vertical center of the screen, so that it looks less like the computer
is flying.

- At the beginning we see the Tails website / installation assistant on
the computer screen with a white underline. I would delete this white
line. It does not really make sense.

Cheers!
u.