Re: [Tails-testers] Working Wi-Fi Adapter

Author: sajolida
CC: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Working Wi-Fi Adapter
Ron HulduNet - GM:
> On 4/20/19, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>> Ron HulduNet - GM:
>>> You are replying to my post , not Jacks.
>>
>> Yes, but you didn't put Jack in copy of your reply and I'm not sure
>> whether they are subscribed to the list.
>
> Then you still should have answered -his- mail, and put whatever
> as From , CC and so on, so a thread will be a functional thread.
>
> When you reply to me in a post/mail someone else made, it
> makes it seem like -I- wrote the one you are replying to, and
> also makes everyone else replying to me, which is a bad thing.
>
> I usually don't use "Reply-to-all" , and myself I've received a bunch
> of mails that didn't go to the mailing-list, when they should have.
>
> I see btw your mail was sent to me (To:) and to the list, which
> makes me get it twice.

In my first reply, I only put tails-testers@??? and Jack in copy
which I think it the correct this to do, doesn't send you duplicates,
and doesn't break the thread:

http://lists.autistici.org/message/20190417.182800.9d05ac05.en.html

In my second reply, I indeed did a mistake and put you in explicit copy
in addition to tails-testers@???:

http://lists.autistici.org/message/20190420.160500.a87f678e.en.html

Sorry about this duplicate.

This made me notice that tails-testers@ is behaving differently than
tails-dev@. tails-testers@ sends replies to the sender by default which
is the source of my mistake.

I checked the mailman configuration and they are identical though:
reply_goes_to = This list.

It looks like a bug. I reset this setting now. Let's see if it works now
and otherwise I'll ask their help to our sysadmins.

> When a question is posted/mailed to a list, one should assume
> the sender -is- on that list they are in fact mailing to.

I disagree on this. The way we ask people to report their findings makes
it clear that tails-testers@??? is a mailing list but doesn't ask
them or even tell them how to subscribe before writing:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/networkmanager/no-wifi.inline/

So I'm assuming that most people reporting about Wi-Fi adapters to not
be subscribed to tails-testers@. I checked just now and
jackbid@??? is not subscribed and my assumption was correct
for this time.

I thought it would be more polite to you to answer to your reply and put
Jack in copy as a way of acknowledging your work while making sure that
Jack had a copy of both answers. I also felt the need to complete your
answer with the fact that v2 doesn't work and a tip on how to find the
version information of an adapter because I had no clue of Jack's
tech-savvyness.

> I also see there's a somewhat higher number of SPAM arriving in
> the list for being such a small list, which is not a good thing.

I cannot agree more! We've changed email provider some months ago but
the spam situation didn't seem to improve, though I'm not admin on the
server and don't know about server-side antispam myself.

> I you guys do not want my assistance with all the questions
> regarding non-working (or possibly working) Wi-Fi adapters, let
> me know.

I appreciate your help regarding Wi-Fi adapters. You told me about
wikidevi which is super useful and also taught me about the NXXX
nomenclature. I don't want to duplicate your work when replying to other
people reporting on the list and I much prefer limiting myself to
complete it whenever I think it's need, like I think it was the case here.

> Right now there's -not- a proper list over chipset's that do work, and
> whatever is (was) listed, is listed as N150, N300, N600 and so, which
> is a totally unhelpful way to describe a adapter since Nxxx is a network
> speed, or by the model# , which in most manufactures changes the
> chipset from time to time without any change in the model#, hence
> some of the same model# works, some don't...

I'm really happy you taught me about that the NXXX nomenclature is
unhelpful and replaced it with the model numbers on February 22:

https://git.tails.boum.org/tails/commit/wiki/src/doc/anonymous_internet/networkmanager/no-wifi.inline.mdwn?id=3e7351cb906201a22ea660633f2e174e490f8cbd

And told you about it in on tails-testers@:

http://lists.autistici.org/message/20190222.160900.ac4e832d.en.html

If you still see the NXXX nomenclature on our website, please tell me
where so I can fix it.

--
sajolida