[Tails-testers] Call for testing: Chinese input methods

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: Chinese input methods
Hi,

users have reported to us a few problems in Tails' support for Chinese
input methods, in particular for Bopomofo (#11292) and Quanpin
(#11382). I've prepared a branch that should at least bring some
Bopomofo support back. But it might break other related functionality,
which I'd rather avoid :)

If you speak Chinese, I need your input. If you don't speak Chinese
but know people who do and might be interested in Tails, please point
them to this email.

Please:

1. Download an experimental USB image from:

     https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_bugfix-11292-chinese-input-methods/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/

2. Install that USB image to an USB stick (this will erase the
content of that USB stick), using Etcher on Windows and macOS,
and GNOME Disks on Linux.

3. Start from that USB stick.

4. In the startup screen, choose the Chinese language you know best.

5. Pick your preferred input method, test and report back:

    a) For Bopomofo:

        - Is Bopomofo usable with ibus-libpinyin? (choose "Intelligent
           Pinyin" and then configure it to do Bopomofo)

        - Is Bopomofo usable with ibus-chewing? (it should be called
          Bopomofo or ZhuYin in the interface)

        - Which one works best for you, among these two options?

    b) For Pinyin

       Does this branch improve Pinyin support, or make it worse?

       Choose "Intelligent Pinyin" and compare to the Pinyin input
       method shipped until Tails 3.12.1 inclusive.

Thanks in advance!