[Tails-testers] USB installation instructions for Linux

Author: Limnivorous
To: tails-testers@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-testers] USB installation instructions for Linux
This looks like a great development! Jumping through this initial hoop is a big hurdle for newbies.

The Linux instructions presume a distribution with Gnome-Disks available. This may be the largest group of users but it still probably excludes the majority. This is confusing for users inexperienced enough to need help writing the image to USB.

I suggest mentioning Etcher and dd at the top. And in fact, maybe Etcher is more straightforward to use than Gnome-Disks? if you chose to make it the default method this would have the advantage that most of the instructions would be the same for everybody. The one downside I can see is it is a large download for someone with low bandwidth.

About the download you provide for Etcher (you could have one for Linux too), it may be good to verify it with a checksum and signature, and perhaps point users to the website as well as (in Linux) checking for a repo package first.

I used this, which just contains the AppImage file - but it is executable, meaning users can unpack and run it with the mouse:
https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.4.9/balena-etcher-electron-1.4.9-linux-x64.zip