Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm

Author: Soul Null
To: tails-testers@boum.org
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm
Here are the results: * No changes to kernel command line - Tails starts as 3.8 did. Seems to fall back to modesetting driver, ESID detected, no vsync, etc.* Adding modeset=0 - Same as above.* Adding nouveau.modeset=0 - ESID not detected, resolution falls to 1024x768 with no option to change.* Adding nouveau.noaccel=1 - It appears to fall back to modesetting driver, detects ESID, native resolution, no vsync, etc..* Adding live-config.xorg-driver=modesetting - Same as above. It's worth noting, unrelated to Tails but related to Nouveau. Even with all the latest updates on Archlinux (and even with a GTX 710) there are still stability issues without noaccel. These are even worse with the 1070 Ti (lots of soft locks on both GPUs). So while it's sad that the latest Nouveau drivers can't be included currently, we're unfortunately not missing much right now. I run proprietary Nvidia on Archlinux for this reason, and hate doing it... I'm glad Tails has a good modesetting fallback.29.08.2018, 03:12, "intrigeri" <intrigeri@???>:Hi Soul Null,I've prepared a branch that reverts to the version of the nouveaudriver shipped in Tails 3.8. Within ~1 hour there should be anexperimental ISO image ready for your testing there:https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_bugfix-15833-revert-to-stretch-nouveau-driver/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/Please test it: - without changing anything to the kernel command line - adding modeset=0 - adding nouveau.modeset=0 - adding nouveau.noaccel=1 - adding live-config.xorg-driver=modesettingThanks in advance!Cheers,-- intrigeri