Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm

Author: intrigeri
To: Soul Null, tails-testers\@boum.org
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm
Soul Null:
> Okay, set modest as 0, logged in and set a password, killed x,
> removed and reloaded nouveau driver with modeset=1. Dmesg spits out
> a lot of related data (I can pipe it to a text file and send it if
> you want

Yes, please give me more data about the various failure modes on
3.9~rc1. But preferably by setting the modeset parameter on the
kernel command line rather than killing X etc. :)

> Nouveau loads with modeset 1, the terminal fonts/resolution changes so fb clearly loads as intended, but x fails to load. The only errors of note in the xorg log relates to
> "failed to open drm device for pci:0000:07:00.0: -19" and
> /Dev/dri/card0 not found.

I see exactly the same error message on your logs from Tails 3.8.
But on Tails 3.8 I see that X.Org falls back to the modesetting
driver and I think that's why it kind of works there.

What if you add this option on the kernel command line on 3.9~rc1:

live-config.xorg-driver=modesetting

?

> this unfortunately looks more and more like a nouveau bug and
> probably not something that's going to be fixed on your end.

Agreed.