Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm

Author: intrigeri
To: Soul Null, tails-testers\@boum.org
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Nvidia Pascal no longer loads gdm
Hi,

Soul Null:
> I'm sorry for flooding you with emails, but this might be the big
> find. When running xorg directly after changing the modeset on
> reloading the module,

Let's make sure this custom way of reloading the module is not what
causes the error message quoted below: do you see that too if you boot
directly with nouveau.modeset=1 or nouveau.modeset=0?

> I get
> /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so: undefined symbol exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate
> This might be the culprit? And certainly a nouveau issue :(

I think it's rather xserver-xorg not checking whether EXA support is
available/initialized and assuming the driver has it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/1210316

So maybe backporting a newer xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and running it
with our rather old X.Org was not such a good idea :/