Re: [Tails-testers] Beta test TAILS w Veracrypt

Author: segfault
To: raisingcane
CC: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Beta test TAILS w Veracrypt
Hi Cane,

raisingcane@???:
> I've run several experiments with the beta TAILS and Veracrypt (VC).
> First, I tried opening a VC encrypted 32G thumb drive. That was quite
> easy. It had no hidden volume, and opened and closed, mounted and
> dismounted as expected. I did not need to use DISKS.

Great!

> Next I tried a 1TB portable hard disk encrypted with VC. That disk
> contained a hidden volume. I was able to use VC pretty easily to open the
> outer volume. However, I was not able to properly unmount it.

Can you explain how you tried to unmount it? Did you click the "Eject"
button in the sidebar of the file manager, did you use VeraCrypt
Mounter, or something else?

> DISKS showed it as unmounted, yet it remained as a disk on "home" and
> in DISKS, even when that disk was unplugged.

What do you mean with "home"? The sidebar of the file manager?

I can't reproduce this. Do you have any logs from this session? Or could
you try to reproduce this and use the whisperback tool in Tails to send
us a bug report including the logs (they are included by default)?

> I was forced to reboot for the next
> experiment, which was to mount and open the hidden volume. I used DISKS,
> entering the password, checking the box "hidden", and showing a keyfile
> and location. The result was the listing of the hidden volume, but to
> access it required an admin password.

I also can't reproduce this. Logs for this would be helpful too.

> Because of previous unsuccessful
> mount attempts, I had set up an admin pw from the TAILS greeter, so was
> indeed able to access the hidden volume and its contents. I tried
> unmounting it, but only the DISKS entry for the device was removed; the
> hidden volume remained on the list, both in home and DISKS, even when the
> device was unplugged.

What do you mean with "the hidden volume remained on the list" in Disks?
In Disks, the hidden volume is listed as part of the drive (see attached
screenshot).

> You folks have done great work getting Veracrypt integrated into TAILS, so
> I want to convey only thanks, praise, and some helpful suggestions. Keep
> up the great work.

Thanks!

Cheers