Re: [Tails-testers] tails test. documentation

Author: S. Banerian
To: sajolida, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] tails test. documentation
On 07/19/2018 04:05 AM, sajolida wrote:
> S. Banerian:
>> i find that the "install from command line" documentation
>> https://tails.boum.org/install/expert/usb/index.en.html
>>
>> tells me to install 'tails-installer' but that page looks as if the
>> installer uses a gui. "drop-down list" "click button"
>
> Indeed, Tails Installer uses a GUI as you can see in:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/install/expert/usb#install-tails
>
> We had plans to make it possible to run tails-installer from the command
> line but, compared to other tasks, it's quite low priority and the
> cost/benefit is not super clear either:
>
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8861

ok, alas, i put the installer on a different machine. first is partially
broken WRT gui.

>> no dd ?
>
> You can dd the ISO image on a USB stick but then the resulting USB stick
> won't benefit from automatic upgrades and you won't be able to create a
> persistent storage on it.
>
> We have plans to fix this before the end of the year and actually
> replace Tails Installer with a dd-like process (and a graphical
> equivalent to dd).

thank you

>> seems a little confusing.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit? Is it about the fact of documenting a GUI tool
> in an installation scenario that's advertised as "using the command
> line" or anything else?

confusing ::= command-line-install -> gui for actual installation

i ran into another hitch.
the iso is approximately 1.2 GB
the tails installer says my 4 GB usb stick is too small.
i have not yet found any mention on the installer page about required
minimum usb stick size. :(

sb