[Tails-news] Call for testing: VeraCrypt support in Tails

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-news] Call for testing: VeraCrypt support in Tails
You can help Tails! The beta version for the [VeraCrypt support in
Tails](https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/veracrypt/) is ready for testing. We
are very excited.

# What's new in the Beta?

We worked to integrate VeraCrypt support into the existing GNOME workflow for
unlocking encrypted volumes. As a result, most of the features already
provided for LUKS volumes are now also provided for VeraCrypt volumes. This
includes unlocking volumes via the GNOME Disks application and integration
into the places sidebar in GNOME Files. If your file containers have the ".hc"
file extension, they will be recognized as VeraCrypt volumes and can be easily
unlocked in GNOME Files.

Additionally, we created a small application, VeraCrypt Mounter, which makes
it easier to unlock VeraCrypt volumes, especially file containers that do not
have the ".hc" extension.

# How to test the Beta?

Download and install the ISO image on a USB stick or DVD, start it and try to
unlock your existing VeraCrypt volumes.

We are interested in your feedback on bugs and usability of this feature.

* Are there any steps that are not clear?
* Did you run into technical issues?

Please send feedback emails to tails-testers@???.

## Get the Beta

[VeraCrypt support in Tails beta ISO
image](http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-amd64-feature_14481
-TCRYPT-support-beta-3.9-20180711T0737Z-628b2ff44a%2Bdevel%40df85233d79.iso)

There is no signature available for this test ISO image.

# Known issues

We've identified a list of known issues
[#14480](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14480) among which

* Trying to unlock via the places sidebar using an incorrect password or keyfile results in a not very helpful error message [#15663](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15663)
* Unlocking via the places sidebar doesn't provide any feedback [#15664](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15664)
* No integration in the places sidebar of the file chooser dialog of some applications (including Tor Browser) [#15667](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15667)

We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to
Tails](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html)
([donating](https://tails.boum.org/donate?r=veracrypt-beta) is only one of
them). Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/about/contact/index.en.html
#tails-dev)!