Re: [Tails-testers] Additional Software feature Beta

Autore: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, 6tem1dex
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-testers] Additional Software feature Beta
Jean-Marie HURAND:
> Bonjour,
>
> Sorry for my bad english ! I just hope you can understand !!

Hi Jean-Marie,

Sorry for the delay and thanks a lot for the feedback!!!

> I am a new beginner on Tails and Linux, coming from Windows.

That's great!

> 1) For me, "Additional Software feature Beta" runs very good.
> 2) I installed VLC and Skrooge (accounts software) from Synaptic : easy.
> 3) Installation is automatic on each boot : very nice.
>
>     BUT : on each boot, just come the default parameters of the
> software. Preferences are lost. Shame !
> HOW TO SAVE PREFERENCES ?

Unfortunately, that's not going to be easy :( Like for any other
software in Tails, the preferences are lost when you stop Tails.

If you know where the preferences of this software is stored, you can
try to use the Dotfiles feature of persistence:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/configure/#dotfiles

But sometimes it's hard to even know where and how preferences are saved...

> 4) I can check my list of additional softwares in Applications/Tails or
> Tools
>     system/Additional Softaware : very simple.
> 5) I can stop installing software of my choice every time I start Tails
> by one clic in the
>     list : very practice.

>> Are there any notifications that are not clear?
> Yes :
>> Configure if you want this package to be installed automatically on each boot.
> May be it will be good to explain : "in the end of software
> installation, a notification appears on screen's top (where there is the
> date). Then you choose automatic installation on each boot, or not.

I think this is what we are explaining in the draft documentation.
See lines 97-99 of
https://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/doc/first_steps/additional_software.mdwn?h=doc/14589-additional-software

Would you add anything else?

>> Do you have ideas on packages that we should propose to Tails users for installation?
> I should wish for :
> - A dictionary like "Lingoes for Windows" (multiple languages),
> - A mail notifier like "MagicMail Monitor for Windows" (possibility to
> pre-display or to delete from the POP or IMAP Server, without
> Thunderbird is running),
>
>> Additional Software gets opened multiple times
> I cofirm : twice or three times.

We're tracking this on #15528 already.

> Thank you very much for this innovation and congratulations for your work.
> I find Tails fantastic. I am going to donate for a new time.

Cool! Thanks for the nice words :)

--
sajolida