Re: [Tails-project] Fwd: Tails app on google play store?

Author: u
To: tails-project
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Fwd: Tails app on google play store?
Hi!

sajolida:
> segfault:
>> u:
>>>
>>> The Tails logo and name are not trademarked.
>>> I don't think that trademarking is the way to go personally.
>>
>> I think it would be good to have legal leverage against fraudulent use
>> of the logo.
>
> I don't know enough about trademarks to know if it would be helpful or
> not in such a situation.
>
>>> We could start by contacting this person and ask him/her to remove this
>>> app themselves pointing them to this very fact.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> We can also tweet about that.
>>
>> I would not tweet about it, it would only draw a lot of unwanted
>> attention to an insignificant app.
>
> Yeap. Right now we don't even know who this person is and what their
> intentions are, so doing any public move sounds anticipated.

Agreed.

>>> And we can, if we do not receive a response, file a removal request with
>>> Google.
>>
>> +1
>
> +1
>
> → Next steps, who wants to:
>
> - Find contact information for this person

The contact info is on the link we have received -> Done.

> - Prepare a draft email

There you go, please improve:

Hi!

you are distributing an application called "Manual TAILS" over the
Google Play Store
[https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobincube.manual_tails_boum.sc_3FSL54]

Not only does this application use our name and logo, but it also
requests access to many privacy sensitive informations when installed on
a device.

We, the Tails project, believe that

- your use of our name violates our copyright, and

- your use of our logo violates the license this logo has been published
under, that is GNU/GPL v3 license.

Providing such a manual to users is a good idea, however, you might
certainly agree that the permissions this app has on the user's devices
is opposed to what we try to achieve with Tails: privacy and anonymity.
Users might install this application and believe that it is "safe".

Thus, we hereby request that you to remove this application from the
PlayStore within 10 days.

If we don't hear back from you within 10 days, we will file a request
with Google to remove the app for legal reasons.

Cheers!
The Tails project

I propose we send this from tails@??? as soon as we agree on the text of
this email.