[Tails-ux] Metaphors from IFF

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, Eileen Wagner, Adriana Groh
Subject: [Tails-ux] Metaphors from IFF
Last week at IFF I was invited by Eileen from Simply Secure to a session
about "Writing good documentation":

https://platform.internetfreedomfestival.org/en/IFF2018/public/schedule/custom/426

One of the practical exercises we gave to people was to rethink the
description of Tails that we have on our homepage to turn it into a
metaphor to explain Tails.

Two groups of 4 people worked on that and I collected the output :)

Something funny is that both groups came up with similar metaphors in
parallel. I heard about "bicycle", "caravan", and "tent" in both groups.

The strongest one, I think, is the metaphor of a tent:

« - Amnesic
    - Empty every time its setup
    - Stored in backpack ("USB stick") along with "stuff" which can be
      moved into the tent ("persistence") or not.
  - Incognito
    - Can move around (change "address")
    - Many tents look alike
    - Works best among other tents (not in a library)
  - Live
    - Can carry around in backpack
    - Can set up in backyard (own laptop) or away from home »

I dumped what people had written in their notes on the blueprint where I
collect info that might be useful in the future when we start working on
explaining what is Tails:

/!\ Wild notes → https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/explain_tails/

And thank you Eileen and Adriana for the great session!