[Tails-project] 34C3 Report

Author: iry
To: tails-project
Subject: [Tails-project] 34C3 Report
Dear Tails community,

The following is my report for the 34C3.

In the 34C3, I met many Tails people whom I previously only identified
by their nicknames. Now, every time I read the Tails mailing lists or
tickets, I can come up with an image of those people in my head which
I consider as a very interesting thing.

I am especially grateful to anonym who spent several hours having
technical discussion with me:

- - We had a discussion on the future "network connection wizard", where
he patiently listened to my questions and concerns, showing me the
drawn GUI pictures: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10491#note-20
- - We discussed the requirements for replacing Tor-launcher with
anon-connection-wizard: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15144
- - anonym showed and explained to me the work of supporting meek_lite
in Tails: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8243#note-20 I consider
this discussion especially educational in terms of understanding the
Tails development. I have been under the impression that Tails
development can be very sophisticated sometimes due to the adversary
models Tails has and the security approaches and philosophy Tails adopts
.
- - anonym explained to me why Tails do not provide default bridges:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8825#note-4 (BTW, it seems the
adoption of anon-connection-wizard may be a potential solution to this
since the text it can show can be more flexible)
- - anonym, along with Patrick, also educated me on how to do a GPG
singing party and how to do it in a polite manner.

Thank you so much, Tails community, for offering me such a wonderful
learning opportunity. I consider my 34C3 trip as a further step to get
myself more involved into the Internet freedom community.

Best Regards,
iry