Re: [Tails-dev] VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt support in GNOME Disks

Author: intrigeri
To: .. ink ..
CC: The Tails public development discussion list, devkit-devel
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt support in GNOME Disks
Hi,

.. ink ..:
> While here,i think it is a bad idea to try to figure out if a volume
> is a TC/VC volume because there will be no point
> in using these over LUKS if a volume can reliably be guessed to be
> TC/VC.

The main reason why we at Tails need TC/VC unlocking support in GNOME
is inter-operability with other operating systems, rather than the
(optional and disputable) hidden property of TC/VC volumes: we need to
allow users to transfer files between Windows/macOS and Linux,
offline, in an encrypted manner, and without having to use the command
line. For the record this comes from actual user needs we've
identified. Sadly, LUKS does not address this need currently, hence
this project :)

In passing, with this use case in mind, said TC/VC volume can be
created on Windows/macOS, which is why our current primary goal is
limited to unlocking such devices on GNOME. Supporting the creation of
such devices in GNOME makes it harder to design the UI because we
would need to help users choose between LUKS and TC/VC depending on
their situation. It's certainly doable technically, but the
cost/benefit in terms of UX seems highly disputable to me. Anyhow, our
UX people are better qualified than me to make this call.