Re: [Tails-ux] Draft survey on VeraCrypt usage

Autore: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, segfault
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Draft survey on VeraCrypt usage
Thomas:
> As a random person on the list...

Welcome Thomas!

>     I have always wondered why there is not an option at log-in to enter
> an alternative password that deletes/erases a volume?
> Best option would be to have it delete one of several volumes, the one
> that you do not want found, and leave one or 2 less sensitive decoy
> usable volumes...    (plausible deniability, etc.)

This is pretty much off-topic here, so next time, please raise your
concern or make your proposal in a separate thread. The issue you're
raise could be raised on tails-dev (our general purple mailing list) or
here.

Regarding plausible deniability:

- I know that many people in the team are quite doubtful about the
usefulness of this strategy, from both a legal and rubberhose
perspective but I won't go into more details now. Note that destroying
evidences ("deleting your persistent volume" could also get you into
serious legal troubles in many legislations. So, at least for me, it's
not a clear win to have such features.

- We have a ticket to create a decoy persistence volume on every Tails
USB stick for plausible deniability. See
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5929.

See this is off-topic here I won't continue the discussion about whether
we want to add a kil-switch password that would delete the persistence
volume. If you want to continue the discussion I suggest tails-dev for
this one.

> secondarily, on surveys, I often like the open-ended-essay question
> option as there are often things that I can not answer simply or are not
> included in the survey that I want to bring up...    I can always skip
> it if I have nothing to say    ...

Cool! Thanks for sharing your view on this. I don't feel like this about
open-ended questions but hearing that you are will help me counter my
personal bias :)

> In this case, I very much do like the
> option of accessing some file from my host computer that I have stored
> there but might want to access while using TAILS

Yeap. That's another use case for VeraCrypt. Note that it's already
possible to access your internal hard drive from Tails.

See
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/your_data_wont_be_saved_unless_explicitly_asked/

Cheers!