Re: [Tails-ux] Questions for VeraCrypt user research

Author: u
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Questions for VeraCrypt user research
Hi!

> And here are the questions I could come up with so far:
>
> Success:
>
> - How many people use VeraCrypt in Tails after our work in comparison
> with before?
> - How many people who were using VeraCrypt outside of Tails but couldn't
> use it in Tails can use it after our work?

This would require to make two surveys, one before, one after, in order
to compare the results, right?

> Scope:
>
> - Which fraction of VeraCrypt volume are encrypted file containers?
> encrypted partitions?
> - Are people encrypting their full operating system with VeraCrypt?
> - Which fraction of users are using hidden volumes?
> - Which fraction of users are using keyfiles? Why? How?
>
> Behaviors:
>
> - Do people share files between Tails and their regular operating
> system? Why? How?

This might also be a question which can be asked before and after
implementation.

You might also want to ask what their main OS is in that case.

> - Can we rely on file containers having a .tc or .hc extension?

I don't understand this question.

> Anything else I'm missing? Any question that is badly framed?

It could be interesting to ask if they knew VeraCrypt before, if they
used TrueCrypt in the past. If they know that our persistence uses LUKS.
How they self evaluate their knowledge about disk encryption.
I think this could help to better understand their file sharing behavior.

Cheers!
u.