Re: [Tails-ux] Porting DAVE to Web Extensions

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: anonym, Uzair Farooq
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Porting DAVE to Web Extensions
intrigeri:
> sajolida:
>> So, merging here the other technical details that anonym and Uzair
>> exchanged off-list we have to choose between the following
>> two options.
>
> Thanks a lot for this summary :)
>
>> Option A. Keep the download inside DAVE relying on the File and
> [...]
>>   - We're downloading in memory so users need ~1GB of RAM
>>     to download.

> IMO that's a deal breaker: requiring 1.1GiB of free memory usable by
> the web browser feels significantly worse than the UX regression
> brought by option B.
>
>> I would say we should do option B.
>
> Fully agreed.

Ok, so since I wrote my summary Uzair found a serious technical
limitation in option A and intrigeri thinks there is a serious UX deal
breaker in option A as well.

We're left with option B. Long live option B!

Uzair: Do you need anything else before being able to send us a quote of
how much work this migration would represent along with a calendar proposal?

The way we worked when developing the original extension was that tchou
and me we doing all the UX, HTML, and CSS work, providing Giorgio Maone
with a prototype page where relevant and he was only doing the coding
work on the extension.

I propose we do the same this time as well. Tchou is missing in action
but I guess I can do the HTML and CSS work and anonym can review the
whole thing :)

We would be interested in a quote for the migration to Web Extensions on
the one hand but also for the port to Chrome, as a possible additional work.

If you need to continue the technical/UX debate do it here. Otherwise
for the quote, please write to tails-accounting@??? putting
anonym@??? in copy.