Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX

Author: kurono
To: sajolida, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
>> I have established a fixed length for the ISO label.
>
> From 0c8f3fc I understand that you set this to 15 chars.
>
> In my tests this matched (with the new "amd64" architecture):
>
>     tails-amd64-x.y.

> And I was still missing the minor version.
>
> I proposed 22 chars in my previous email but apparently the minimum
> chars to fit "tails-amd64-3.12.3.iso" is 17, probably due to the
> non-monospace fonts.
>
> So I really want to have a minimum of 17 but then I don't care much
> about the exact value.

ok no problem done in 5f25ba63.

> Also, right now if I make the window wider, the file chooser doesn't get
> wider. That would be another way of preventing having the filename
> partially hidden. Feel free to do this if that's easy :)

strange it already works for me, but otherwise I have not changed it.

> Switching between "Install" and "Upgrade" is still broken for me :(
>
> If it's what you meant to fix with 885be99, maybe there was a
> misunderstanding. The problem is that when plug two USB stick (one with
> Tails and one without Tails) and switching between the two in as target
> USB stick, then the Install button doesn't change to Upgrade.

ok, I realized my solution was incomplete. When several devices were
found by the installer, if some of them had tails and other did not,
then all of them were assumed to not having it. I have changed it in
c35316709. Please let me know if works for you.

> So we only have two small issues remaining:
>
> 2. The chars of the file chooser
> 6. The switching between Install and Upgrade.
>
> I can do the patch for #2 but not for #6 so unfortunately, I have to
> reassign this to you again :(

lets see :)