[Tails-project] Monthly meetings [Was: Tails contributors me…

Author: intrigeri
Subject: [Tails-project] Monthly meetings [Was: Tails contributors meeting: Saturday June 03]
Hi,

sajolida:
> The meeting didn't happen by lack of quorum.

Sorry to hear that. I am not exactly surprised.

> These monthly meeting dynamics are going down again and I'm quite pissed
> off at paid workers who don't show up more than 50% of the time (to me
> that should be a strict minimum) but I'm out of energy to find
> constructive and friendly ideas to this (and no I don't believe that
> changing time will magically solve the problem). Happy to share the
> blaming and punishing ideas I do have :/

On this topic, I share your desire and vision about how things should
ideally work; thanks for raising it again: we shouldn't keep things
as-is and pretend they work (they clearly don't).

But I'm unhappy to see blame on people distributed this way, in this
context:

* This "being pissed off" is about expectations that were not made
clear to them, and commitments they did not make: I don't remember
any decision about "paid workers MUST attend more than 50% of
monthly meetings" (let alone anything clear wrt. if/how this work
would be paid).

* I understand the point you're making is more general ("50% of the
time"), but I can't help feeling blamed for not attending
yesterday's meeting specifically: that's the context in which your
email was sent. So again, some of us have other priorities than
work during week-ends, which IMO we should support (either by not
scheduling meetings during week-ends, or by acknowledging they
won't make it and not blaming them for that). This issue was raised
on this very mailing list 3 months ago, very few people
participated in that discussion, and we collectively failed to
reach any conclusion.

In this context, to me it feels premature and totally uncalled for to
suggest "blaming and punishing" anyone.

I too doubt that changing the date/time of the meeting will "magically
solve the problem" entirely, but that's a very cheap way to remove
some of the blockers and help identify the remaining ones, so perhaps
let's just do it? We could resurrect that thread, and let's avoid
over-engineering / getting lost in implementation details:

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-project/2017-March/000737.html

If that fails, or if it's already too late to even try given how some
of us feel about this topic, let's just give up on these meetings: we
have other, working, existing ways to make decisions. I wouldn't mind
giving up personally, and I would not feel it's a failure. It might
even lead us to feel a need for these meetings again some months
later, to clarify that need, and to better design how/when/why these
meetings should happen + the expectations we have about them — a fresh
start :)