Re: [Tails-testers] 3.0 beta

Author: intrigeri
To: Whisperingwind
CC: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] 3.0 beta
Hi,

Whisperingwind:
> I'm quite new to computers and I don't know anything about computer
> code. But I just might be able to give you some useful feedback
> about Tais 3.0 beta.

Thanks!

> In my previous version of Tails, I exported my few pgp keys to
> a folder on an external hdd.

> they would not import with 3.0.

What are you doing exactly, and what happens?

> copying video (mp4) from external hdd, dropped out many times.
> copying to external hdd worked fine.

What do you mean with "dropped out"? Please send a complete bug report
with WhisperBack in a session where you've reproduced this problem,
so we have logs and can look into it.

> No warning about closing multiple tabs in gedit. Should there be?

We don't modify the Debian/upstream defaults about it. Does gedit
allow you to close multiple tabs if any was modified but *not* saved?
If not, then I think we're good.

> The spell checker in Libre Office Writer still doesn't work for me.
> It's never worked since Tails 1.0. I have mentioned it before.

For which language? We include dictionaries and spell checkers for
Arabic, German, English, Spanish, Farsi, French, Italian, Portuguese
(Brazil), Russian and Vietnamese. The spell checker works fine for me
in English.

> Bookmarks
> show all bookmarks…….restore…...choose file

This is not supported, sorry. Please instead use the "Browser
bookmarks" persistence feature:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/configure/

> Can the ‘Details’ in ‘All settings’ be securely hidden, motherboard, processor, graphic etc?

This would be an endless battle that we're doomed to lose with the
current design of Tails.

> I have a hdd with an encrypted partition. I added another 3 encrypted partitions.
> Then discovered that I could not delete them from the brilliant DISKS. I could unlock
> them and lock them. But not delete them.

Please describe exactly what you're doing and what happens as I cannot
reproduce this myself.

> By pure fluke I discovered from the ‘home’ folder if you right click on the encrypted
> partition…..format….. chose quick of slow, and the format type, click format, it
> erases the encrypted partition and all the contents! It doesn’t even ask for the
> encryption password.

Indeed, there's no need for the password to erase an encrypted partition.

> Two factor authentication is used a lot now. Can the ‘Oathtool’ be
> included in Tails?

In which software do you want to use it?

Can you please point me to the web page of the exact software you'd
like to see included?

> I do all my writing in Tails. Can a dictionary and Thesaurus be included?

For which language?

> In DISKS I use format with zeros function all the time. My external 1.5TB hdd took 9.5 hours!

I'm not sure how it could be made faster, sorry :/

> Can you ask the DISKS team whether the zeros format can be done in
> stages on large TB hdd. So you can continue with zeros where you
> last finished?

I'm not sure this would be doable, and quite frankly I have little
interest in this feature myself. Please suggest it to them yourself :)

> In Tails...there is an option to right click and ‘Wipe’….
> [...]
> There are two other boxes to possibly check….
> Fast and insecure mode
> Last pass with zeros instead of random data.
> Can some of these features be included in DISKS?

Please first clarify what problem this would solve :)

> I hope my wee bit of feedback is of some use.

It is useful!