[Tails-testers] 3.0 beta

Author: Whisperingwind
To: tails-testers@boum.org
Subject: [Tails-testers] 3.0 beta
Hello Tails,

I'm quite new to computers and I don't know anything about computer code. But I just might be able to give you some useful feedback about Tais 3.0 beta.

In my previous version of Tails, I exported my few pgp keys to a folder on an external hdd.

they would not import with 3.0.

copying video (mp4) from external hdd, dropped out many times.

copying to external hdd worked fine.

No warning about closing multiple tabs in gedit. Should there be?

The spell checker in Libre Office Writer still doesn't work for me. It's never worked since Tails 1.0. I have mentioned it before.

I've checked the following...

TOOLS

OPTIONS

language settings

writing aids

Hunspell spell checker...checked

check spelling as you type...checked

ABC tab (blue check mark)

box appears

''continue checking at beginning of document''

click Yes

''The spellcheck is complete''

click OK

disappears, even though there are loads of spelling mistakes!

TOOLS

Automatic spell checking...checked

Spelling and Grammar...click

same result as ABC tab

There are no spelling mistakes high lighted.

Bookmarks

show all bookmarks…….restore…...choose file

it always say could not read the contents of Desktop. It’s the same with other folder too, or my persistent volume or an external hdd. I realize the bookmarks need to be put in the Tor browser folder to be imported.

When clicking….show all bookmarks…….restore…...choose file

could it go straight through to the Tor browser folder, or could a message come up explaining to import from here? Perhaps I’m missing something...sorry!

Can the ‘Details’ in ‘All settings’ be securely hidden, motherboard, processor, graphic etc?

Being an activists I have discovered / observed my computer being attacked and my data being stolen. I share an Internet router. My computer has a distinctive ‘finger print’ to the others using the same router.

THIS IS SERIOUS!!!

I have a hdd with an encrypted partition. I added another 3 encrypted partitions. Then discovered that I could not delete them from the brilliant DISKS. I could unlock them and lock them. But not delete them.

By pure fluke I discovered from the ‘home’ folder if you right click on the encrypted partition…..format….. chose quick of slow, and the format type, click format, it erases the encrypted partition and all the contents! It doesn’t even ask for the encryption password.

Don’t make any enemies!!!

A BIG request…

In the former Tor map you used to be able to right click and close any of the Tor circuits, but you can't do it with Onion Circuits.

Because of the NSA's Tempora program, please can you ask Tor to allow that option again.

Are there any signs on the horizon that the right click and close feature could soon make a return?

Can there be a feature to block Tor relays in certain countries?

I was sent this link once…

https://tails.boum.org/news/index.en.html

The next three are minor…

In All Settings….Background…..Wallpaper, the 5th blue wallpaper is slow to load, compare to the other four.

Two factor authentication is used a lot now. Can the ‘Oathtool’ be included in Tails?

I do all my writing in Tails. Can a dictionary and Thesaurus be included?

In DISKS I use format with zeros function all the time. My external 1.5TB hdd took 9.5 hours!

Can you ask the DISKS team whether the zeros format can be done in stages on large TB hdd. So you can continue with zeros where you last finished?

An observation…

In Tails...there is an option to right click and ‘Wipe’….

click options….

Number of passes….

38 (Gutmann method for old disks)

2 (advised for modern hard disks)

1 (only protects against software attacks)

There are two other boxes to possibly check….

Fast and insecure mode

Last pass with zeros instead of random data.

Can some of these features be included in DISKS?

I hope my wee bit of feedback is of some use.

Keep up the great work.

Whisperingwind

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), Swiss-based encrypted email.