Re: [Tails-dev] Tails build system update

Author: Vasiliy Kaygorodov
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails build system update
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM, bertagaz <bertagaz@???>
wrote:

> Hi,

> We released today all this changes, so for developers that are building
> Tails, we strongly advise to have a look at the build documentation
> [2] and adapt your usage.
>
> [1] see tickets #11972, #11979, #11980, #11981 or #12409
> [2] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build

Hi all,

If anyone is using RPM-based distribution, the new process does not work
out of the box, as vmdeboostrap is not available from the distro
repositories and pip.
Here are the steps to use Vagrant-based build system on Fedora 24:

sudo dnf install python2-virtualenv python2-distro-info dpkg deboostrap
virtualenv tails
source tails/bin/activate
pip install --upgrade pip
pip install PyYAML
git clone http://git.liw.fi/cgi-bin/cgit/cgit.cgi/cliapp/
pushd cliapp
python setup.py install
popd
git clone http://git.liw.fi/cgi-bin/cgit/cgit.cgi/vmdebootstrap
pushd vmdeboostrap
python setup.py install
popd

Edit vagrant/definitions/tails-builder/generate-tails-builder-box.sh and:
- modify "vmdeboostrap" line with the full path to vmdeboostrap installed
in virtualenv, e.g.: ${HOME}/ve/tails/bin/vmdeboostrap
- if your e2fsprogs have version lower than 1.43 - append "--roottype xfs"
to vmdeboostrap options (by default, vmdeboostrap uses ext4 with cleared
"metadata_csum" flag, versions of e2fsprogs lower than 1.43 lack support
for that flag)

Now you can run the build:
export TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS="${TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS} ignorechanges" # since
we did modify path to vmdeboostrap above
rake build

Thanks.
--
vk