[Tails-ux] New Greeter: read-only persistence?

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: read-only persistence?
Hi,

>> intrigeri:
>> what's the practical use case

The use case:
I need to access 'Encrypted Storage' files but don't want them altered
by an attacker who has obtained access to my system.

[Protecting Identity]
If the 'Encrypted Storage' files contain personally identifiable
information, 'Read-only' is useless if an attacker has obtained access
to my system.

[Protecting Integrity]
If the 'Encrypted Storage' files do not contain personally identifiable
information, 'Read-only' is useful for accessing trusted documents.

'Read-only' helps protect file integrity.

>> I see no realistic way to have this option
>> in the Greeter.

Kill it.

Tails having 'Encrypted Storage' on the same device is more convenient
and less secure.
Having a separate storage device less convenient and more secure.

Many storage devices have "mechanical" 'Read-only' switches.
Encouraging their use is preferable.

> u:
> people, was this dropped for a reason?

No reason. Simply overlooked it. Need design reviews (:

Wordlife,
Spencer