Re: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: read-only persistence?

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, anonym
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] New Greeter: read-only persistence?
Hi,

u:
> intrigeri:
>> Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

> We actually don't seem know how much this option is really used by
> people and that makes it very hard to find a solution to your question /
> proposal.

> Whenever I did some workshops with Tails in the past, I had the
> impression that it's indeed a corner case feature, used by very paranoid
> people. But these people *are* part of our target user group, right?
> Journalists, people in dictatorships etc. So to me it feels wrong to
> drop this feature just like that because it did not fit in the mockups.

I agree this probably wouldn't be a strong enough reason to drop it.

> Then, I have the impression that we mix up several problems here: as you
> say, there were problems reported with this feature, and we don't have
> the time to reimplement this fast enough for Stretch.

Well, not exactly: *if* we re-add this option in the Greeter, I expect
it'll work just as well, and just as badly, as in current Tails 2.x.
It doesn't require any additional work to port it to Stretch AFAIK.

Sure, this would have been lovely. Now, time flies, and as I wrote:

>> I find this situation a little bit confusing. I need it to be
>> clarified before the next Stretch sprint (Jan 30 - Feb 3): […]

This didn't happen, and we have no clear way forward yet, so I have to
make the call myself as far as Tails 3.0~beta1 (that I want to publish
on Thursday) is concerned. There's no concrete proposal of how the UI
should look like if we wanted to add this feature in the new Greeter,
and no consensus was reached when it was discussed on this mailing
list. It doesn't seem sensible for me + Alan to implement something
now, that would need to change later when UX/design people find time
to chime in.

So I see no realistic way for Tails 3.0~beta1 to have this option in
the Greeter. I'll coordinate with anonym so that we adjust the test
suite accordingly, ideally in a way that can be easily reverted in
case things move forward here and we decide to re-add this option in
time for Tails 3.0.

However, I understand you folks have been busy with other matters, and
I'm happy to hold on a bit. The final decision about whether this
option should be supported in Tails 3.0 can wait a bit more, say until
the next Stretch sprint (March 17-19); if the answer is "yes", then
we'll need a consensus to have been reached on mockups by then.
Fair enough?

Of course, in any case it'll always be an option to re-add this option
later. We'll simply have to handle it essentially like any new
feature, balancing design + development + maintenance costs with
expected benefits.