Re: [Tails-testers] 3.0 issues

Author: u
To: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] 3.0 issues
Hello,

J. A. "Biep" Durieux :
> Thanks for Tails! I live in China, and can't access torproject.org.
> I also cannot download the standard Tails, as the process through the
> firefox plug-in gets stuck. So I downloaded and installed 3.0.

torproject.org in China is simply blocked using DNS as far as I know.
Using a public DNS service such as 8.8.8.8 (Google) will allow accessing
the website.

> (1) Installing from Ubuntu 16.10, I am not asked to provide a
> superuser password, and as a result I can't even set the timezone.
> Is there a fixed initial password?

By default, the administration password is disabled for better security.
This can prevent an attacker with physical or remote access to your
Tails system to gain administration privileges and perform
administration tasks against your will. But you can set up such a
password at boot.

https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/administration_password/

> (2) Tor in China requires meek, but I can't find the settings pane
> where I can tell this to tor. Normally it is under the onion button,
> but here it isn't. Where is it?

obfsproxy bridges and FTE also work in China (tested).

In Tails, you need to configure how Tor accesses the network at startup,
in the so-called Greeter. See
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/network_configuration/

Cheers!
u.