Re: [Tails-testers] Greeter and alpha-1a

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Greeter and alpha-1a
Hi,

Ilia Alexeev:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 1:30 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> *I'm curious what exactly you have to do in torrc.*

> A. ​is this such question the only help you are intend to give me about the
> torcc tuning inability???​

First, please carefully re-read the message you are replying to.
There, I've pointed you to a ticket that describes the changes needed
to address this problem in our documentation. The new way of doing
things will allow you to edit files as root with gedit.

Second, I've asked this question because I want to better understand
the exact use cases that Tails currently doesn't satisfy nicely
enough. "Editing torrc" is not a use case, it's a technical solution
to a problem that wasn't described AFAIK. I would like to understand
the actual problem that you're trying to solve by editing torrc.
Please help me help you.

> B. any time I start TAILS I need to perform a big number of setups to be
> able to use the TAILS as accomplishing my needs and limitations
> (LIMITATIONS!!!). I'm VERY interested to be able to put all my sets into
> the Persistence - languages and
> - sets of the Virtual Keyboard and
> - the torcc file. In this last case (torcc into the persistence) I will not
> need to wait for your answer (for your help) about the workaround for
> tuning the torcc if the tuning can be performed once and saved in the
> persistence.

With respect to languages and keyboard settings: I believe that's on
the roadmap for the next iteration of the Greeter.

With respect to torrc: I am not in a position to discuss this until
you have provided the information I've requested.

> My addition question about the TAILS-3 testing is about the security of it:
> is there a way to upgrade the Tor Browser into the Alpha version? I can not
> TESTING ONLY and not use the system for the real tasks - because it is NOT
> testing in all :) !

There is no easy nor supported way to do so, sorry.