Re: [Tails-testers] Request for JavaFX on Tails 3.0

Author: intrigeri
To: Collin Sullivan, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Request for JavaFX on Tails 3.0
Hi Collin!

Collin Sullivan:
> I was really excited to see OpenJDK 8 included in Tails 3.0! It moved
> us a step closer to an easier implementation.

Cool! :)

> The continuing problem
> is that Martus' interface libraries require JavaFX, and I wanted to
> request that it be included in the release if possible. It would make
> it a lot easier for us to get Martus into the hands of human rights
> defenders who need to work in a more secure environment like Tails.

I'll assume that the package Martus needs is either libopenjfx-java or
libopenjfx-jni. Both are quite big, so I'm concerned about increasing
the size of upgrades and ISO downloads for all Tails users, given the
vast majority of them won't get any advantage from it. This seems to
be exactly the kind of use cases for which we've created the
Additional Software Packages feature. So I'm curious:

1. Assuming we would ship the requested package by default: what's the
Martus setup process? Feel free to point me to you current
end-users documentation, I'll be happy to read it myself.

2. What are the blockers for you folks to use the Additional Software
Packages feature to ensure the requested package is installed
in Tails?

Note that we have plans to greatly improve the Additional Software
Packages feature in 2017-2018: we want to give it a GUI, to eliminate
the "long delay with no feedback during the GNOME session startup" UX
problem, and to make that feature work even when offline.