[Tails-dev] Suggestion to hep with exploit mitigation...

Author: Mike Guidry
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Suggestion to hep with exploit mitigation...
Hello,

I've only used Tails a handful of times. I had my browser crash while
researching a bit ago, and I'm assuming it was from an exploit. Firefox is
full of holes.

I just wanted to give a suggestion. It may be a good idea to use various
versions of firefox binaries for different architectures. You could even
manipulate the user agent, and javascript results for the current
architecture, and OS. It would work fine choosing these at random with
QEMU userland emulation engines.

Example:
start firefox(tor browser), and it chooses ARM
it begins by executing qemu-arm with the firefox binary for ARM
firefox manipulates its results with an intel machine response

Pros:
It would defeat all current exploits or at least require injecting all
platforms which would allow heavy users, or automated systems to detect
them easier. It may even be feasible to insert an opcode detection engine
in QEMU directly that may detect x86 code on ARM, and vice-versa.

Cons:
A bit slower, but we are already dealing with TOR traffic which may not
even show a major difference while converting from one architecture to
another
size -- you would have to include various architecture binaries

Its just an example because I was pretty annoyed that my browser crashed.
Good going to the guys putting exploits on TOR traffic. I'll definitely
look forward to helping with future mitigation techniques.

Have a great day,
Mike